Five miles North of Southampton on the West bank of the River Itchen. Eastleigh is called Estelei in the Domesday Book, and located in Mansbridge Hundred, its Saxon name was Eastlea in the survey attached to the charter by which King Athelstan granted land at North Stoneham to the Thegn Alfred in AD 932. The words lea, ley and leigh derive from the Old English leah meaning "a clearing in a wood" or "a glade".
The London and South Western Railway Company came to this area in the 1840s and built Bishopstoke Junction, now Eastleigh Station. This was followed in the 1880s by the removal from Nine Elms of the L.S.W.R. carriage and wagon works. From this time the town really began to grow, and in 1895 the Urban District Council was formed.
The name Eastleigh was chosen for the town by the authoress Charlotte Yonge, when the Parish was created in 1868. "East" suggesting a rising sun, a rising faith and a rising town.
|GWS Motorsport||Racing Team|
|Tructyre Fleet Management Ltd||Fleet management|
|Amy Elizabeth Handmade Crafts||Wedding stationery|
|Brendons Associates Commercial||Estate Agents|
|Crestwell House Bed & Breakfast||Bed and Breakfast|
|Eye in the Sky Images||Low level aerial photography|
|Hants Computer Servives||Other|
|Hants Computer Servives||Computers|
|Hendy Leisure Ltd||Manufacturers|
|Monks House||Bed and Breakfast|
|Prime Training uk Ltd||Training Company|
|Worldwide Financial Planning Ltd||Independent Financial Advice|
|14 companies found|